Sunday, October 31, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

sketch of Ken Robinson


This video was extraordinary! Not only was the animation great, but most of the messages were outstanding as well, and even though I'm not a great artist I would love to have the job of the artist/designer if I had to plan out something similar.  I think that the most important issues that were addressed is when he talked about medicating the students and the many standardized tests that  have been thrown in the school systems today.  I sort of understand that they issue them to seniors entering college to see where they stand academically, but for them to issue them to junior high and elementary students, I think is ridiculous! I feel as if they should not take up the younger kids time by giving these test because clearly it takes up too much time and its hard to cover all the information that is on it due to the class sizes being so large.  The other issue is the medications that are allowed to be given to kids at school.  I don't understand the reasoning behind it, what to calm a child down?  Well an active child to me is a child that's willing to learn and experience new things and in my opinion once you medicate them to were they become zombies in the classrooms, that's the real problem.

With me being an education major, I can relate much of the material I'm being taught to the some of the points that Robinson is trying make.  One that is most important is the use of technology and helping kids to become more familiar with it. Also, by showing them how it can be used to their advantage when it comes to learning in school, oppose to making them bored and have there attention floating elsewhere.  But their is one thing that I don't quite agree with him and that is when he says that we shouldn't organize kids by their ages.  I understand that some kids may be a little more or less advance than some kid their age, but I feel as if it allows them to learn from one another. With them being the same age they have more in common, which makes the process of growing easier for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment